Friday, August 15, 2014

Still Figuring Things Out

I cannot believe it has been over a month since my last post.  Time is moving way too fast.  I always think once I get to the next chapter of my life - things will slow down.  One of my old co-workers told me that it never does slow down and I'm beginning to realize that is true!

Anywho, a quick update on my progress from my last post and then onto some new realizations. In my last post, I talked about how I need to simplify my health plan.  Two very easy things to focus on: choose better stuff to eat and move 5 days a week.  So far I have not made any real progress on this.

The weather has been unseasonably cold this week, reminding me that Fall is just around the corner.  It seems like it was yesterday when I was moving into Fall/Winter clothes realizing that they didn't fit me because I gained too much weight over the summer.  Pledging that by summer 2014, I would lose it to fit better into my shorts...now I'm staring down the end of summer, realizing that soon I will be in the same place I was last year - unable to fit into most my Fall/Winter clothes....pledging to do something about it by summer....

But what to do? That realization that I mentioned above has the answer.

Stupid sweet tooth



I was driving through East Grand Rapids yesterday.  For those not familiar with the Greater Grand Rapids area, East Grand Rapids is a rich area of town.  Lots of gorgeous houses that I have loved for many years.  As I was driving around, I noticed the gorgeous houses, but also how busy and alive the area seemed.  There was tons of people, families, couples, kids out running, walking themselves or with dogs, riding bikes.  And for some reason I started to feel sad.

It took some driving for me to figure out why I was feeling sad, but I think this is the reason.

All those gorgeous houses and happily content people represent a life I really want (whether or not this representation is accurate does not matter).  They represent a happy life, maybe with kids, pets and in a house my own with a yard.  They represent health.  All things that I want to have but don't yet.  And the biggest realization - they represent people who have their crap together.

I was sad because I felt that those were things that I was never going to have.  I think because Mike and I aren't activity doing anything to obtain those dreams.  I felt sad because I can barely keep it together with my life right now.  I only have a two bedroom apartment, no kids or dogs.  How will I make it work in a house, with kids and dogs?

Time to start planning

I am really pretty good at planning things, like an event.  I make a list of what needs to be done, some times I make additional lists to help me get through the steps on the first list.  I get a plan in place and I go after it.  I know this is contradictory to what my last post was about, but I think I need to make a life list, a plan on how I am going to get to those things above - a house, kids, better health (God willing of course), but I also need to make sure to plan in rest time, relaxation and fun.While keeping in mind, that if one day I can't get my list done, I can't stress about it.

I have said this before about people I know and work.  Your dream job is just not going to come knocking at your door, saying "please apply for me!"  You have to plan the steps and do the work to get there.  It's time for me to apply my own advice to my life.  Time for planning and hard work to get the life that I want.

I'm not sure what this will look like, but I will try to share it as I figure it out.  There is one major thing that I need to work on right now and that is moving five days a week.  This weekend I will take some time to sit down and schedule in my workouts.  Leaving it unscheduled and having the "I'll fit it in whenever" mindset, leads me to not do it at all.  I'll keep you guys posted on how everything goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment