Monday, May 20, 2013

Accountability

Alright folks, here's the deal. I need to get back on track. Big time. And you guys are going to help.

The track I want to be on is a healthy track.  I want to get more fit, I want to work out, I want to make my own food, I want to eat more fruits and veggies, I want to be mentally happy and healthy.  All of these take a lot of work.  They say that to make big changes you should make a little change and then another little change and another, and soon that will add up to the big change you want to make.  This is what I am going to try to do.

What does that have to do with accountability and you? I'm taking a page out of my favorite blog -
Click to go to blog!


Back To Her Roots and will be post an accountability update on my blog each week.  Cassie was nice enough to let me steal her idea (Thanks so much lady! You rock!!). Also go check out her blog.  Seriously, she's awesome!



By knowing that I am posting for you guys to read, I think it'll help me keep in check of what I need to be doing.  There are a lot of things I'd like to change, so I'm going to break them into big groups:
1. Eating Healthier
Some of my goals are to eat more fruits and veggies, eat out less, make my own food/cook meals, meal prep, try to eat locally when possible, add more meatless meals to my diet....things like this.

2. Fitness
For fitness my main goal is to get into a weekly workout routine.  I went from working out 5/6 days a week back in February to never working out in March and April.  I need to find some balance.  Another goal is to tone my body.  I'm not really looking to lose weight, but I have my problem areas that are flabby and I'd like some toned muscles.  I'd also like to work on being more active in my non-workout time.  Going for walks, bike rides, shooting hoops just for the fun of it!

3. Mental Happiness
I'm a work-a-holic and a social butterfly who needs to be busy all the time.  I need to remember to do things for me, like just relax, enjoy nature or spend some time reading a book. Health involves the whole body so my mental happiness also needs to happen. Right after the wedding. Hahaha just kidding.  I need to work on some of this before the wedding.

At the beginning of each week, I'm going to post my accountability update.  It will be a recap of how I did last week and what I'd like to focus on for the upcoming week.

Last week:
1. Eating Healthier
This week I slowly broke into my new habits by trying to eat homemade meals. I did some meal prep last Monday night:

I made turkey tacos, goulash with ground turkey and salads in a jar.  Swapping ground turkey for ground beef is a easy way to make good home cooked meals a little bit healthier.  Not to say that I don't eat ground beef, because I do, but I try to eat lean proteins more often than red meat.  Having meals ready really helped me to stay away from buying food on the good and eating out of a vending machine.  both of these are not good for my health or my wallet.

This week: I want to focus on more meal prep and including more fruits and veggies in that.

2. Fitness
Slow week for me getting back into a work out routine.  Well actually I have been doing 2-3 hours of manual labor at work lately, so I have been counting that as my work out, but in addition to that I did take some 10 minute walks on my lunch breaks and on Saturday I ran a little over 2 miles!



I was at a 12 minute/mile pace - not the best ever, but for not running for most of winter, I'm okay with it. I also ran through the grass on this bike trail, not on the cement, which made it better for my knees, but a little bit harder to run.

This week: Someone I work with asked me to work out in the mornings with her so we are going to start that on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll have another update next week for you guys on Sunday or Monday and hopefully I'll have some mental happiness to report back on along with happy news about my food and exercise.

What do you do to keep on track of your healthy lifestyle?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment