Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dreaming Big -Eating Healthy

I have big dreams about my life; what I want to do and what I want it to look like.  My dreams are always down the road.  "At some point in my life, I want  ______." Then I realize, I'm 27 years old and will be turning 28 this year.  That's only two years away from 30.  I'm getting married this summer.  Although I don't feel like it - I am an adult.  So what better time than now to make those changes I want to make?!

The biggest change that I want to focus on right now is the food that I eat.  The concept of "healthy eating" is something that I am struggling a lot with right now.  I'm trying to lose a few pounds so I'm counting calories, but just because I get below my calorie count, does that mean I'm eating healthy?  I don't believe so.  I can tell you right now that my diet for the last couple months has not contained enough fruits and veggies.

Birthplace
And what about processed "healthy' food.  Today I had a southwest veggie stuffed sandwich made by FitActive, which is supposed to be Aldi's healthy food.  I love them - they taste great, have veggies, but the ingredient list is crazy long and full of things I can't pronounce!

 From what I have read in health books and on blogs, I think the best diet is one that is plant-heavy and mostly homemade.  By that I mean fruits, veggies and whole grains are the majority of the diet and animals based products are a smaller part.  In addition to this, most of the food should be homemade rather than store bought.  Both of these ideas seem to be very contradictory to a modern American diet. Which reminds me, portion control also needs to be added to a healthy diet.

What does this translate into for me?  Time. Which I don't have a lot of and, as of late, I don't seem to manage well.  I'm thinking in order to incorporate eating this way into my life, I'm going to need to meal plan and meal prep on the weekends for my week.  I don't mind doing that, but I just need to make sure I have the time for it.
Gotta use my planner!
So this is the thing I'm going to work on for the next couple weeks. I don't think that in a couple weeks I'll be a pro at it, but I'm going to at least take some steps towards this. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

*Healthy diet here does not mean like Atkins, I just mean the entirety of what I consume.  Diet also often implies temporary.  I'm talking about a lifestyle, people!

Do you meal plan or cook food on your weekends? Any tips or ideas you can share with me?




No comments:

Post a Comment