Thursday, September 20, 2012

September is

1. National Potato Month!  Which is great because I love potatoes and I happened to have acquired a huge 35 lbs bag of potatoes!
For only $6.00 - I have a hookup and if I told you about it I'd have to kill ya and I like you too much for that so I'll just keep it my secret.



Potatoes, I've learned, have a lot of nutritional benefits.  Live Better America wrote an article about all the good things these spuds can do for you!

I love potatoes so I'm excited to start cooking up some great eats with them. I made a recipe a few times over the spring that I fell in love with.  Unfortunately it involves asparagus which is only unfortunate because now they are out of season and I didn't post this when they were in season.  Nonetheless! If you can make this - do it! SO good! Recipe posted below.

2. What I Ate Wednesday Theme for the the month is Fall into Good Habits, which is like Jen read my mind because I have been going over a list in my mind of things I wanted to work on this fall.  Since I've missed all but one What I ate Wednesday I'm going to share a few with you here.

~Take the Bus More Often than Drive: We have a great bus system that runs between the downtown campus and the main campus.  If I can start taking that it does add about 10 minutes to my commute but I only spend about 15 minutes in the car and 30 on the bus vs. spending 35 minutes in my car. I'm thinking about the wear and tear on my car, the good it does for Mother Earth, plus the gas $ I'll be saving.

~Be More Organized: The above demonstrates my room - a bedroom with a tornado going though it.  I want to keep my room cleaned and organized, but not only that I want to stop being so much of a procrastinator and get things done ahead of time.  I hate scrabbling last mintue to buy someone a gift or struggling to get ready for the work when I should've been out the door 5 minutes ago.  I have to be organized, which means not being a procrastinator and planning things out.  I think this would provide a better quality of life.

~Start Planing My Wedding! We've been engaged since March, but have gotten very little done.  September marked 11 months out and it is almost gone! Things need to start happening with that and soon!

I'll have a couple more goals next week.  Until then - make these potatoes!

Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus 

 
Ingredients:
~3-4 good sized potatoes (any type of potatoes will do.  Red skinned, Yukon gold, Fingerling - I have made this with each of these and they are all delicious)
~1 bunch of asparagus (I usually use 1lb. I have used this with green or purple asparagus and both were good.)
~Olive Oil
~Garlic Powder
~Basil
~Sea Salt

Steps:
Preheat your over to 400°F
Skin the potatoes if you so wish.  If not wash the potatoes really well.  Then chop the potatoes in pieces. 
Wash the asparagus and chop that into pieces, roughly and inch or so long.
Place the veggies into a 9x13 pan
Drizzle olive oil over veggies.
Sprinkle with garlic powder, basil and sea salt
Then mix the veggies to coat with olive oil and seasonings.  I eyeball how much to add, so if there is not enough, just add more.
Place in the oven and roast for 1 hour, mixing the veggies after the first 30mins.

Time:
1 hour and 30 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment