Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sick Steps

My amazing immune system has failed me!  I hardly ever get sick, but this fall I have been struck down with the sickness...a stupid cold has attacked me.  I actually stayed home from work on Wednesday! I almost never do that.  I stayed in bed, watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 1 & 2, The Ugly Truth and part of the first season of ER.  Not too mention ate a lot of cough drop, Cold-Eezes, some popsciles and alternated between water and apple juice.

At least I had my little Gracie to keep me company.   She was by my side all day.
One thing that really went down with me laying around all the time was my movement.  Especially my steps.  Surprisingly, walking from your bed, to the kitchen, to the bathroom doesn't give you as many steps as you would think.  Why am I concerned about my steps, you ask? Well that is because we are in another step challenge at work!

Every fall at work we have a step challenge. We make teams and compete against each other and we as a whole also compete against another University.  We also have a step challenge during the summer and every summer/fall I always think I'm going to do better than the last.

Let me tell you, Friends, this summer was pathetic.

A week ago this past Wednesday kicked off another step challenge. My personal goal that I reported was 7,000 steps/day, but in reality I am hoping to reach 10,000 steps/day.  In my research many different sources have recommended that in order to live a healthy life you should take 10,000 steps a day. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.



If you are interested in tracking your steps, you can purchase a pedometer at any local sporting goods store, but also stores like Wal-Mart, Meijer and Target. Make sure you wear it properly so it will track.

How to properly wear a pedometer:
Clip it to your belt or pants right on your hip
It should be by the top of your hip bone


Make sure it is straight
For accurate readings and comparisons across days, always wear it on the same side.

Walking has a ton of health benefits.  It's a great cardio workout, can help lose weight, and improves your mood!  Check out these links for more of walking's benefits:
Now get out there and enjoy this fall weather with a lovely walk! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment